Data Engineer (Open to Remote)Req # JR - 066002 Location Deerfield, Illinois, United States (Remote) Additional locations United States of America - Remote Job Category Information Technology Date posted 07/11/2022
This is where you save and sustain lives
At Baxter, we are deeply connected by our mission. No matter your role at Baxter, your work makes a positive impact on people around the world. You’ll feel a sense of purpose throughout the organization, as we know our work improves outcomes for millions of patients.
Baxter’s products and therapies are found in almost every hospital worldwide, in clinics and in the home. For over 85 years, we have pioneered significant medical innovations that transform healthcare.
Together, we create a place where we are happy, successful and inspire each other. This is where you can do your best work.
Join us at the intersection of saving and sustaining lives— where your purpose accelerates our mission.
Perform development work and technical support related to our data transformation and ETL jobs in support of a global data warehouse. Can communicate results with internal customers. Requires the ability to work independently, as well as in collaboration with a variety of customers and other technical authorities.
What you'll be doing
- Development of new ETL/data transformation jobs, using PySpark and IBM DataStage in AWS.
- Improvement and support on existing transformation jobs.
- Can explain technical solutions and resolutions with internal customers and communicate feedback to the ETL team.
- Perform technical code reviews for peers moving code into production.
- Perform and review integration testing before production migrations.
- Provide high level of technical support, and perform root cause analysis for problems experienced within area of functional responsibility.
What you'll bring
- 5+ years of ETL experience.
- Experience with core Python programming for data transformation.
- Intermediate-level PySpark skills. Can read, understand and debug existing code and write simple PySpark code from scratch.
- Strong knowledge of SQL fundamentals, understanding of subqueries, can tune queries with execution hints to improve performance.
- IBM DataStage experience preferred.
- Able to write SQL code sufficient for most business requirements for pulling data from sources, applying rules to the data, and stocking target data
- Experienced in solving ETL jobs and addressing production issues like performance tuning, reject handling, and ad-hoc reloads.
- Proficient in developing optimization strategies for ETL processes.
- Basic AWS technical support skills. Has ability to log in, find existing jobs and check run status and logs
- Will lead jobs via Control-M
- Can create clear and concise documentation and communications.
- Can document technical specs from business communications.
- Ability to coordinate and passionately follow up on incidents and problems, perform diagnosis, and provide resolution to minimize service interruption
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple tasks simultaneously
- Effective in multi-functional and global environments to lead multiple tasks and assignments.
- Experienced in analyzing business requirements, defining the granularity, source to target mapping of the data elements, and full technical specification.
- Understands data dependencies and how to schedule jobs in Control-M.
- Knowledgeable in working at the command line in various flavors of UNIX, with basic understanding of shell scripting in bash and korn shell.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelors of Science in computer science preferred.
- 5+ years of ETL and SQL experience
- 3+ years of python and PySpark experience
- 3+ years of AWS and unix experience
- 2+ years of IBM DataStage experience
- AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner (amazon.com)
- Certified DataStage Professional
- Python and PySpark certifications
The successful candidate for this job may be required to verify that he or she has been vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for individuals with medical conditions or religious beliefs that prevent vaccination, and in accordance with applicable law.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Poster Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities globally. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please click on the link here and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.
Recruitment Fraud Notice
Baxter has discovered incidents of employment scams, where fraudulent parties pose as Baxter employees, recruiters, or other agents, and engage with online job seekers in an attempt to steal personal and/or financial information. To learn how you can protect yourself, review our Recruitment Fraud Notice.
Join Our Talent Community
We're grateful for your interest in a career with Baxter, and would like to get to know you. Joining our Talent Community is a great way to stay connected, learn more about Baxter, and help our recruiters find you if there's an opportunity that aligns with your background, skills and interests.Join Now