Injection Molding Operator (Nights)Req # JR - 088187 Location Opelika, Alabama, United States Job Category Assembly Jobs Date posted 01/01/2023
This is where you save and sustain lives
At Baxter, we are deeply connected by our mission. No matter your role at Baxter, your work makes a positive impact on people around the world. You’ll feel a sense of purpose throughout the organization, as we know our work improves outcomes for millions of patients.
Baxter’s products and therapies are found in almost every hospital worldwide, in clinics and in the home. For over 85 years, we have pioneered significant medical innovations that transform healthcare.
Together, we create a place where we are happy, successful and inspire each other. This is where you can do your best work.
Join us at the intersection of saving and sustaining lives— where your purpose accelerates our mission.
The primary responsibilities of this position include performing manufacturing procedures and associated documentation of injection molding of plastic parts and assembly of these parts in accordance with written procedures. Performs as a multi-skilled team member, serves specialized areas, and plays a significant role in process improvement and facilitation.
This position will be on night shift 5:45 pm- 6:15 am
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs set-ups on complex automated injection molding machines and assembly robots, identifies potential bottlenecks in the flow process and takes action to prevent reoccurrence. Responsible for utilizing resources, both their own and others, to meet production goals.
- Controls and understands all functions of automated equipment within area of responsibility including but not limited to start up and shut down of machines to ensure continuous operation and constant output of products
- Ensures cycle times and performs quality checks for manufactured parts, identifies defective materials and alerts Assistant Supervisor of unusual trends for corrective action.
- Follows guidance of designated or assigned Assistant Supervisor and Shift Supervisor to ensure continuous and uninterrupted production flow.
- Works with and assists Assistant Supervisor, Engineers and Production Management in resolving quality, production process issues, and raw material issues.
- Trains new employees and cross trainees as directed by Assistant Supervisor, using standard training booklet
- Handles robots in all normal production modes, troubleshoots and identify problems with robots as required.
- Trouble shoots, identifies and repair problems related to machine output and quality defects as they occur, at level of competency and escalating issues per established procedure.
- Acts with sense of urgency to intelligently communicate unresolved/reoccurring machine issues with service technicians/engineers, actively supports both groups by assisting/learning.
- Works directly with other team members in new and existing process validation, documentation, and implementation. Assists engineers in prototyping, specialty builds, testing, validating, and implementing new materials, designs and process improvements. Records data when necessary. May assist in the design of fixtures.
- Conducts quality control measurements within area of responsibility by ensuring equipment is operating within specified tolerances/parameters.
- Conducts planned/preventive maintenance in area of responsibility including but not limited to cleaning and inspection on all components of equipment in a safe manner, considering production flow and buffer levels.
- Prepares proper documentation to support production tracking and performance of equipment.
- Works with Shift Supervisors and Assistant Supervisor in establishing work instructions and training materials and to achieve production safety/hygiene goals.
- Works as a service oriented, independent worker. Able to effectively communicate with other Production Techs during shift transition
- Offers support to other Production Lines and or Production Units when needed.
- Immediately communicates production flow issues to Assistant Supervisor or Supervisor/Production Team Leader.
- Assumes Assistant Supervisor leadership responsibilities in case of Assistant Supervisor absence.
- Adheres to break schedule, provides flexibility and break coverage for team members as needed
- Responsible for proper handling of waste and accurately documenting supportive data relative to waste.
- Responsible for knowing and following safety and compliance procedures by always maintaining orderliness within department and proper hygiene.
- Accountable for learning and applying computer skills, including PC skills in the Windows environment, and training new employees as required
- Performs other duties as required including but not limited to visual inspection of products.
- Will be evaluated on the proficiency of the following:
- Set up and teach robot positions and end effectors
- Adjust core switches
- Basic knowledge of how to pull and change a screw
- Able to perform troubleshooting
- Basic leadership skills, able to fill in for Assistant Supervisors
- Capability to process out defects
- Hang and pull molds independently
- Capability to change thermocouples
- Can Teach Knowledge to New hires
- Capability to change heater bands
- Understanding of SPC or MVDA
- Is a TPM Leader and trainer
- Can review and order spare parts
- Capability for machine logs in Maximo
- Is a Maximo professional
- Understands MVDA
- Capable of measuring parts utilizing CMM
- Capable of operating crane safely
- Demonstrates understanding of standard and metric wrenches, nuts, bolts, threads etc.
- Basic understanding of the processing plastic
- Capable of swapping thermolators
- Capable to operate buffers
- Able to perform daily & weekly PMs
- Can document machine PMs in Maximo
- Capable to load and save machine parameters
- Describes responsibility for TPM of machine
- Demonstrates how to submit a service request in Maximo
- Can search and identify machine manuals
- Completed all required reading of SOP’s and training guides.
- Understands good housekeeping and safety on the job.
- Understands pinch points and location of e-stops.
- Understands and performs LOTO procedure properly.
- Capable of working safely and proper use of PPE.
- Capable of performing quality inspections (visual).
- Capable of doing dimensional checks (CMM).
- Capable of verifying that machine is running within validated parameters.
- Capable of documenting parameter checks without errors.
- Able to complete all assigned documentation without errors.
- Capable of stopping and starting the IMM’s.
- Capable of start, stop, and resetting of robots.
- Capable of proper cleaning and greasing of molds.
- Reports all problems to the Assistant Supervisor in a timely fashion
Qualifications and Education:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Successful completion of an Injection Molding Technician Program and/or plastics experience preferred
- Advanced understanding of manufacturing operating procedures in the field of injection molding and part assembly.
- Requires basic knowledge and understanding of mold design and construction.
- Requires extensive and practical knowledge of different materials and their workability, especially in the field of thermoplastics.
- Requires team cooperation and ability to prioritize workload to meet customer demands. Must have excellent interpersonal communication skills with peers, leaders, customers, and support groups.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently as an individual contributor, team member, and leader.
- Capable of applying planning and allocation skills acquired through education and job experience.
- Safety conscious, following safety rules, policies, and procedures.
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team environment.
- Internal - employee is trained internally to independently run equipment in two additional PU’s, outside of their assigned PU or has completed both (27 hours total) of the SUSCC Mold Setter certification programs
- External – candidate has 5+ years of advanced plastic injection molding experience, is a subject matter expert in plastic injection molding, can train others and/or holds advanced certifications in plastic injection molding
- Must be able to work in an environment without daylight / windows.
- Ascends/descends ladders to access machinery.
- Lifting and/or moves up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds using lifting aids, techniques, or appropriate assistance.
- Duties may require overtime work, including nights and weekends.
- Use of hands and fingers to manipulate equipment is required.
- Requires standing, walking, bending, pulling, pushing, climbing, and crawling.
- Ability to work 12 hour rotating shifts to include day and nighttime hours.
We understand compensation is an important factor as you consider the next step in your career.At Baxter, we are committed to equitable pay for all our employees, and we strive to be more transparent with our pay practices.To that end, this position has a salary pay rate of $41,600, plus shift differential for off shifts. The pay rate is based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant skills/experience, time in the role, business line, and geographic/office location.
The successful candidate for this job may be required to verify that he or she has been vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for individuals with medical conditions or religious beliefs that prevent vaccination, and in accordance with applicable law.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Poster Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities globally. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please click on the link here and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.
Recruitment Fraud Notice
Baxter has discovered incidents of employment scams, where fraudulent parties pose as Baxter employees, recruiters, or other agents, and engage with online job seekers in an attempt to steal personal and/or financial information. To learn how you can protect yourself, review our Recruitment Fraud Notice.
Opelika, AL 36801
United States of America Explore Now
Join Our Talent Community
We're grateful for your interest in a career with Baxter, and would like to get to know you. Joining our Talent Community is a great way to stay connected, learn more about Baxter, and help our recruiters find you if there's an opportunity that aligns with your background, skills and interests.Join Now