Environmental SpecialistReq # JR - 023679 Location Mountain Home, Arkansas, United States Job Category EHS Date posted 06/29/2020
Are you looking for a career that matters?
We believe every person deserves a chance for a healthy life, free from illness and full of possibility. We see a world full of healing, with viable care options available to those with limited choices today. We envision new ways of providing physicians, pharmacists and nurses with technologies that not only treat chronic diseases, but also work to prevent them. We’re looking for team members who are motivated to learn, grow and innovate, while making a meaningful difference for millions of people around the world.
Learn more about how Baxter is At the Intersection of Saving and Sustaining Lives.
Environmental Specialist Job Description
Responsible for the development and implementation of environmental programs for a 600,000 sq ft medical device manufacturing facility. Provide professional, technical problem solving and administrative coordination of environmental programs, policies and regulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (these are primary responsibilities of the role and the incumbent will perform other duties as assigned):
- Coordinates and manages the Mountain Home Environmental Program
- Maintain Plant Waste Stream Measurements
- Provide assistance to plant personnel in determination of waste streams
- Recycling Program
- Coordinate and manage recycling streams
- Regulatory contact for Local, State and Federal Environmental agencies
- Risk Management Programs (hazardous waste, waste minimization, air toxics, emergency response reporting/near-miss incident program, etc.)
- SME for a variety of environmental permits
- Track and communicate regulatory requirements and assure that plans are developed and executed to assure that our activities can be conducted in compliance with all applicable Federal, State and local laws.
- Complete Environmental Reporting Requirements
- Develop, conduct and manage Environmental Specialized Training
- Provide advice on environmental matters to facility personnel
- Track facility progress toward Environmental goals
- Develop, manage Environmental Procedures.
- Coordinate and manage Solid Waste Program
- Interpret environmental regulations concerning compliance with Local, State and Federal laws.
- Interface daily with employees and management to explain environmental requirements and to answer questions.
- Communicate with EHS Manager in solving problems, developing corrective action and training.
- Support for the health and safety program is provided by conducting facility inspections, incident response/case management, root cause analysis, and employee training.
Job Requirements (Education, Experience and Qualifications):
- Knowledge of EPA regulations and environmental law.
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend written environmental laws and regulations and apply to an industrial manufacturing setting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills both orally and written.
- Demonstrated ability to absorb technical information and put into practical applied use.
- Demonstrated ability to use a personal computer with current available software.
- Demonstrated skill in setting objectives and managing projects.
- Basic understanding of chemistry and material safety data sheets
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental or Mechanical Engineering or similar technical degree, preferred.
- Five years’ experience with EPA regulations and environmental law.
- Team experience preferred including communicating requirements in an organizational setting.
- Project experience designing and implementing improvements to waste and recycle streams desired.
Physical / Safety Requirements
- Duties may require overtime work, including nights and weekends
- Use of hands and fingers to manipulate office equipment is required
- Position requires standing and walking for extended periods of time
- Majority of work is indoors with a minor amount outdoors.
- Outside inspections of the grounds and the facility roof is required frequently.
- Some overnight travel is required using commercial airlines and company automobiles.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Poster Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an e-mail to Americas_TTA@baxter.com and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.