Machine Operator (3rd shift)Req # JR - 025007 Location Bloomington, Indiana, United States Additional Locations 40 Job Category Assembly Jobs Date posted 07/28/2020
Are you looking for a career that matters?
We believe every person deserves a chance for a healthy life, free from illness and full of possibility. We see a world full of healing, with viable care options available to those with limited choices today. We envision new ways of providing physicians, pharmacists and nurses with technologies that not only treat chronic diseases, but also work to prevent them. We’re looking for team members who are motivated to learn, grow and innovate, while making a meaningful difference for millions of people around the world.
Learn more about how Baxter is At the Intersection of Saving and Sustaining Lives.
The Machine Operator ensures maximum equipment efficiency to meet client demand and expectations. They contribute to creating an environment where teamwork, productivity, safety, identity, strength, purity and quality (SISPQ) are reflected in the finished product. This position reports to a Manufacturing Supervisor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (these are primary responsibilities of the role and the incumbent will perform other duties as assigned)
Equipment Operation (40%)
- Follow and execute machine operation according to standard operating procedures (SOPs) and batch record instructions.
- Maximize equipment efficiency during operation, ensuring first pass quality product.
- Periodically check/examine units from good and or reject areas to ensure proper equipment function.
- Challenge equipment and or verification systems according to SOPs or batch record instructions.
- Document all actions performed at the time of performance; assist with verifying various batch record or other equipment steps for teammates.
- Communicate equipment issues to subsequent shifts, Supervisor and appropriate personnel.
- Contact and work with internal resources and or vendors to maintain/improve equipment performance.
- Meet equipment/line efficiency targets by proactively taking action to prevent downtime; work with upstream or downstream team members to help line flow.
- Use and sample printed materials to the batch record by First In First Out (FIFO)
- Print/document machine outputs or reports before, during, or after processing.
Set-up, Tear down, & Changeover (25%)
- Thoroughly clean and clear machines in established target timelines between production operations.
- Perform set-up and changeover activities independently for assigned machine; assist set-up and or changeovers on additional equipment when available.
- Verify all set-up/changeover steps have been completed properly using set-up checklists.
- Monitor setup and changeover process to ensure completion within target set/changeover time.
- Assist Quality Assurance and or production clearance personnel with clearance of machine.
Machine Trouble shooting (15%)
- Track machine faults and or downtime system data as problems occur; share information with
- Technician/Maintenance/Engineering support and help recommend appropriate action to correct the equipment issue.
- Clear most faults and re-start equipment following shutdown with minimal direction or supervision according to SOPs or batch record instructions.
- Assist with completing work orders for equipment related problems.
- Provide recommendations and implement solutions to equipment/process challenges.
- Utilize all available information and support groups to resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Assist with documentation and follow up to problems with inadequate/defect material.
Continuous Improvement, Training, and Safety (15%)
- Train peers and Relief Machine Operators for general equipment operation, setup and changeover.
- Work with Finishing Training, Supervisors, Machine Operators, etc. to update/improve SOPs.
- Participate in continuous improvement initiatives.
- Immediately address any safety or training deficiencies discovered by you or your team mates; notify appropriate levels of management as necessary.
- Work with Engineering, Senior Technicians, Tech Services, etc. to improve material design and or equipment operation.
Equipment qualification (5%)
- Provide support to equipment qualification/validation.
- Develop SOPs for equipment implementation.
- Work with Tech Services, Engineering, Maintenance and Production to ensure smooth transition to production use.
- Provide direct support to test components and equipment.
Job Requirements (Education, Experience and Qualifications):
- High school diploma or GED required.
- 6 months previous Pharmaceutical Manufacturing experience preferred.
- 2 years of experience operating and troubleshooting complex production equipment preferred.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook and the ability to use enterprise software (examples include: JDE, BPLM, Pilgrim, Trackwise, etc.).
Physical / Safety Requirements
- Must be able to lift, push/pull, and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Required to stand for as long as 8 hours per day, including constant standing for 2 hours at a time.
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds overhead.
- Duties may require overtime work, including nights and weekends.
- Use of hands and fingers to manipulate equipment is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Poster Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an e-mail to Americas_TTA@baxter.com and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.