Environmental Health & Safety ManagerReq # JR - 027267 Location Bloomington, Indiana, United States Job Category EHS Date posted 09/15/2020
Are you looking for a career that matters?
We believe every person deserves a chance for a healthy life, free from illness and full of possibility. We see a world full of healing, with viable care options available to those with limited choices today. We envision new ways of providing physicians, pharmacists and nurses with technologies that not only treat chronic diseases, but also work to prevent them. We’re looking for team members who are motivated to learn, grow and innovate, while making a meaningful difference for millions of people around the world.
Learn more about how Baxter is At the Intersection of Saving and Sustaining Lives.
The Environmental, Health& Safety Manager is responsible for ensuring compliance with all federal, state, and local environmental, health and safety regulations; ISO 14001 and 180001 Standards; and Company Policies. This position develops and implements programs, strategies, policies, training and procedures to reduce/eliminate risks; sustain a management system; and to drive a culture of continuous improvement. The Environmental, Health& Safety Manager is the primary liaison with external environmental, health and safety regulatory agencies and with Baxter’s global EHS group. This position reports to the Plant Manager and is part of the Bloomington Senior Leadership Team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (these are primary responsibilities of the role and the incumbent will perform other duties as assigned)
- Develop and implement programs and procedures to assure site compliance with applicable federal, state and local environmental, industrial hygiene and safety regulations.
- Assist operations in planning for compliance of new and modified processes.
- Assist regulatory agencies in the preparation of permits and application renewal in compliance with environmental regulations.
- Manage and provide technical guidance to the EHS staff.
- Conduct and manage risk assessments to reduce job and facility risks.
- In collaboration with senior management, develop and implement site policies and procedures that drive improvement in the facility environmental, health and safety performance.
- Negotiate and secure contracts for hazardous and non-hazardous waste disposal.
- Primary contact for inspections, permitting and reporting to regulatory agencies.
- Develop and implement safety and environmental training programs for current employees, newly hired personnel, and contractors.
- Responsible for regulatory and company performance reporting according to environmental permits, RCRA, community right-to-know and company policy.
- Oversee contractor safety programs.
- Assist with energy reduction projects, energy data monitoring and trending, and energy management programs.
- Lead initiatives to reduce waste, greenhouse gas emissions and natural resource use in alignment with Baxter’s Sustainability Program.
- Participate in near miss, incident and accident investigation to identify and correct the root cause using Lean techniques.
- Lead the identification of root causes of regulatory or company non-conformances and track corrective and preventive actions for timely completion.
- Manage changes at the facility that have EHS impact by providing technical information on new or changed projects, equipment, processes, and procedures
- Stay current on any changes in the regulations and sharing of best practices.
- Assist internal and external medical personnel and workers’ compensation coordinators to manage injury/illness cases and to maximize the potential of an effective restricted work program where employees are safely and quickly brought back to productive and legitimate work, consistent with medical restrictions.
- Coach employees, supervision and local leadership to improve the technical skill base in environmental, health and safety related areas.
- Formulate and implement local environmental, health, safety and security strategies and procedures to be followed by local personnel, who are designed to identify and resolve risks; are in compliance with local, state and federal safety, health and environmental laws and regulations; and are consistent with Baxter global policies and procedures.
- Provide technical guidance to manufacturing, engineering and quality control groups through participation in safety committees
- Act as Incident Commander for facility chemical emergency response team for clean-up of hazardous material spills, which involves 24-hour on-call status.
- Manage the EHS Department budget and control spending to meet budget forecasts.
Job Requirements (Education and Experience)
- Bachelor’s Degree required in Environmental, Safety or related field. Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 5 years related experience which should include leadership experience through direct supervision or indirect leadership roles (project management, leading teams, mentoring).
- Must be knowledgeable in EPA, OSHA, and DOT regulations.
- Must hold a registered professional certification in the environmental or safety field (i.e. CHMM, CSP, or CIH)
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook and the ability to use enterprise software (examples include: JDE, BPLM, Pilgrim, Trackwise, etc.)
Physical / Safety Requirements
- Duties may require overtime work, including nights and weekends
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to wear a respirator and emergency response equipment
- Position may require standing or walking for extended periods of time.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Poster Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an e-mail to Americas_TTA@baxter.com and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.