Summer 2021 Intern: Renal Care R&D- New Product DevelopmentReq # JR - 033497 Location Round Lake, Illinois Job Category Administrative Date posted 01/19/2021
This is where you save and sustain lives
At Baxter, we are deeply connected by our mission. No matter your role at Baxter, your work makes a positive impact on people around the world. You’ll feel a sense of purpose throughout the organization, as we know our work improves outcomes for millions of patients.
Baxter’s products and therapies are found in almost every hospital worldwide, in clinics and in the home. For over 85 years, we have pioneered significant medical innovations that transform healthcare.
Together, we create a place where we are happy, successful and inspire each other. This is where you can do your best work.
Join us at the intersection of saving and sustaining lives— where your purpose accelerates our mission.
Baxter offers a robust summer internship program based in the Chicagoland area that provides meaningful work assignments and projects that immerse students in Baxter’s culture designed to provide practical work experience highlighting what an individual would do in a similar full-time role with the ability to make a business impact. You'll be paired with a mentor, receive support from your manager, and have access to the entire Baxter employee community to ensure your success. We’ll help you have fun outside of work with outings to sporting events, community service opportunities, networking events with Baxter leaders, and other activities.
Interns will support the Uno disposables program during the feasibility and early-development phases of New Product Development. The goal is to reduce technical risk as quickly as possible to further define the design of the Uno disposables
Intern candidate learning will include:
- Understanding of the Product Lifecycle Process with specific exposure to the feasibility phase of a new product development product for a medical device company.
- How to work in a fast-paced environment to modify design and perform feasibility testing quickly to reduce technical risk.
- Hands-on experience for interpreting user needs to design requirements, design outputs, and test method development to qualify the design.
- Gain critical thinking skills to understand how specific design features can satisfy user needs.
- Greater understanding of how design decisions impact manufacturability which can increase the cost of a high production volume product.
Round Lake, IL
- Work under the supervision of the lead engineer and a cross-functional global team to define the disposable design.
- Define requirements and risks and document within the Digital Twin initiative.
- Work closely with manufacturing suppliers to quickly build prototype samples for feasibility testing.
- Develop test methods to perform functional feasibility lab testing. Includes the following:
- Connector to adapter testing
- Membrane testing
- Disinfection testing
- Understand and comply to Good Documentation Practices (GDP) by using Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN).
- Design experiments to support how various environmental and therapy conditions may impact design.
- Contribute to brainstorm sessions to help develop idea to design the most cost-effective disposables design
- Rising Junior or Senior pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM) Mechanical Engineering, Bio Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering
- GPA of 3.0 or above
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and problem-solving skills
- Positive attitude, team-oriented, adaptive to change, and collaborative
- Experience in Engineering Clubs preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Poster Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an e-mail to Americas_TTA@baxter.com and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.