Assistant Supervisor, Injection Molding (B Shift: Nights)Req # JR - 090861 Location Opelika, Alabama, United States Job Category Assembly Jobs Date posted 01/27/2023
This is where you save and sustain lives
At Baxter, we are deeply connected by our mission. No matter your role at Baxter, your work makes a positive impact on people around the world. You’ll feel a sense of purpose throughout the organization, as we know our work improves outcomes for millions of patients.
Baxter’s products and therapies are found in almost every hospital worldwide, in clinics and in the home. For over 85 years, we have pioneered significant medical innovations that transform healthcare.
Together, we create a place where we are happy, successful and inspire each other. This is where you can do your best work.
Join us at the intersection of saving and sustaining lives— where your purpose accelerates our mission.
This position functions as lead of a team are to motivate and lead the social aspects of the production unit group while ensuring the continuous operation of designated production area to meet production requirements. This job is responsible for scheduling of various operations including visual inspection of semi-finished products within the production unit, ensuring a continuous flow of material to facilitate production. Also includes maintaining the proper flow of process equipment and documentation requirements as well as execution of quality control activities and maintaining housekeeping and order within the production department.
- Responsible for managing the production process and controlling all functions of machinery and machine parameters in designated area.
- Gives technical guidance, direction, and feedback to employees in the Injection Molding area.
- Trains new and existing employees including but not limited to PU Leads, Process Techs and Machine Leaders.
- Evaluates the performance of team members.
- Monitors hours worked, PTO, attendance and performance of responsible team members and informs supervisor of disciplinary action needs.
- Responsible for utilizing resources, both their own and others including but not limited to communicating with PU Leads and Machine Leaders within and outside of the Injection Molding PU unit to meet production goals and report/document proper and accurate downtime information to Production Management
- Responsible for knowing and following quality procedures for manufactured parts, identifies defective materials and alerts team members and Production Management to unusual quality trends for corrective action.
- Maintains proper documentation for the Quality Control system and production tracking and reviews quality control documentation completed by Injection Molding team members.
- Ensures cycle time performance and quality accuracy.
- Identifies potential bottlenecks in the flow process and takes action to prevent reoccurrence.
- Responsible for properly handling waste and accurately documenting data relative to waste disposal.
- In the absence of the Shift Supervisor, able to resolve quality issues and production problems, able to execute contingency plans, and able to manage people.
- Responsible for knowing and following safety procedures for associated equipment, maintaining orderliness within department, and working with shift leaders to achieve production safety and hygiene goals.
- Handles robots in all normal production modes, troubleshoots and identifies problems related to robots, machine output and quality defects as they occur at level of competency and decides if support needed.
- Supports Production Management in establishing and maintaining 6s, work instructions and training materials. Responsible for training employees as required on 6s methods and processes.
- Effective planning and overseeing plant maintenance and cleaning on all components of equipment in area of responsibility in a safe manner, considering production flow and buffer levels.
- Works with and assists engineers and Production Management in resolving quality, production process issues, and raw material issues.
- Also acts as a substitute for all Process Techs and/or Machine Leaders within designated area to fill-in, in case of emergencies.
- Effectively leads tier II meetings and escalates to tier III, as appropriate.
- Immediately communicates production flow issues to Supervisors/Team Leaders
- Assumes complete ownership and accountability of assigned production unit to include but not limited to; people/safety, quality, and production.
- Responsible for quarantining nonconforming parts and using CAPA to resolve related NCR’s.
- Aligns processes, training, and communications with peers from within shift and other shifts.
- Effective planning, tracking and execution of break rotation to include Machine Leader and Visual Inspector coverage as needed.
- Will maintain proficiency in the following:
- Meets all requirements of a Tech II
- Leadership skills
- Write work orders.
- Mold Paperwork
- Fencing and quarantining
- Professional representation during Tier meeting
- Fully capable of utilizing all buffer functions.
- Changing screw tip
- Changing thermo couples
- Changing heater bands
- Next level trouble shooting
- Proactive problem solving
- Extended capability to process out defects.
- Know how to calibrate CMM machine.
- Knowledge of SPC
- Knowledge of MVDA
- Master Molder certification
- Performs other duties as assigned within scope of responsibilities listed above.
- Maintains confidential information.
- Must have a positive courteous “can-do” attitude.
- Minimum 1-2 years manufacturing experience in injection molding preferred.
- Team player and able to function as part of a team.
- Able to work independently.
- Skilled in Microsoft applications, MS Word, and MS Excel.
- Basic math skills.
- Ability to train and share knowledge with less experienced operators.
- Ability to work under pressure and respond with a sense of urgency.
- Work effectively and professionally with employees, team members, engineers, manufacturing management, etc., by using good personal and interpersonal skills.
- Capable to perform visual inspection of products.
- Must be able to work in an environment without daylight / windows.
- Ascends/descends ladders to access machinery.
- Lifting and/or moves up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move in excess of 50 pounds using lifting aids, techniques, or appropriate assistance.
- Duties may require overtime work, including nights and weekends.
- Use of hands and fingers to manipulate equipment is required.
- Requires standing, walking, bending, pulling, pushing, climbing and crawling.
- Ability to work 12 hour rotating shifts to include day and nighttime hours.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Successful completion of an Injection Molding Technician Program and/or plastics experience preferred.
We understand compensation is an important factor as you consider the next step in your career.At Baxter, we are committed to equitable pay for all our employees, and we strive to be more transparent with our pay practices.To that end, this position has a salary pay rate of $60,000. The pay rate is based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant skills/experience, time in the role, business line, and geographic/office location.
The successful candidate for this job may be required to verify that he or she has been vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for individuals with medical conditions or religious beliefs that prevent vaccination, and in accordance with applicable law.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Poster Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities globally. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please click on the link here and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.
Recruitment Fraud Notice
Baxter has discovered incidents of employment scams, where fraudulent parties pose as Baxter employees, recruiters, or other agents, and engage with online job seekers in an attempt to steal personal and/or financial information. To learn how you can protect yourself, review our Recruitment Fraud Notice.
Opelika, AL 36801
United States of America Explore Now
Join Our Talent Community
We're grateful for your interest in a career with Baxter, and would like to get to know you. Joining our Talent Community is a great way to stay connected, learn more about Baxter, and help our recruiters find you if there's an opportunity that aligns with your background, skills and interests.Join Now