Medical Science Advisor (Flexible Location)Req # JR - 032107 Location Newbury, England Job Category Clinical Date posted 01/05/2021
This is where you save and sustain lives
At Baxter, we are deeply connected by our mission. No matter your role at Baxter, your work makes a positive impact on people around the world. You'll feel a sense of purpose throughout the organization, as we know our work improves outcomes for millions of patients.
Baxter's products and therapies are found in almost every hospital worldwide, in clinics and in the home. For over 85 years, we have pioneered significant medical innovations that transform healthcare.
Together, we create a place where we are happy, successful and inspire each other. This is where you can do your best work.
Join us at the intersection of saving and sustaining lives—where your purpose accelerates our mission.
The Medical Science Advisor (MSA) will have an excellent product and therapeutic area knowledge and expertise (clinical and technical) related to the entire product portfolio for a specific Baxter BU.
This role is a field-based position with responsibility to assess and respond to clinical, scientific or medical information. This can include off-label discussions initiated by HCPs.
The MSA will participates in training sessions, deliver clinical/scientific presentations and attend medical congresses and company-sponsored scientific symposia.
The MSA builds strong scientific partnerships with HealthCare Professionals, key thought leader and relevant societies. In everything the MSA does he/she puts the patient at the centre and acts in the spirit of highest ethical principles.
The MSA supports the Medical Affairs Director in the development and implementation of the Medical Affairs vision, mission, strategy and action plan in full alignment with the business plan of the specific country/region for MEDDEL & P Western Europe BU.
The MSA is a key partner of several country/region functions (such as Marketing, Sales, Regulatory Affairs, Pharmacovigilance, Patient Access, Compliance and Legal). He/she supports the Medical Affairs Director of the BU to provide medical-scientific and strategic input into country strategic teams.
The Medical Science Advisor supports the Medical Affairs Director
- Identifies and escalates clinical needs
- Is the primary contact for investigator initiated trials/ researches (IIR) and provides medical-scientific expertise and information relevant for clinical research project
- Assists in the identification of high quality study centers
- Supports the Medical Affairs Director of the BU in the definition and implementation of the medical scientific communication strategy and content for his/her disease/therapy area of responsibility.
- Assists in the development of publication plans
- Reviews promotional materials
- In order to stay abreast with the latest developments in the medical field, the Senior Medical Science Advisor SI:
- Continuously reviews the current medical-scientific literature
- Attends key medical-scientific conventions
KEY THOUGHT LEADER ENGAGEMENT
- Acts as a liaison with the medical community (medical professional societies, therapeutic area experts/KTLs, investigators, consultants)
- Supports the Medical Affairs Director in the collaboration with key thought leaders and the development of key thought leader programmes
Skills and Experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with multiple stakeholders (internal and external) and to build relationships of credibility and trust with them
- Highest degrees of ethics
- Excellent product knowledge and expertise
- Excellent customer approach with ability to quickly build strong and reliable relationships including with key opinion leaders.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills in local language and English
- Proven teaching capabilities and understanding of adult learning concepts
- Effective critical thinking skills and strategy implementation
- Effective interpersonal, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Broad understanding of the regulatory and healthcare environment in the country/region.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent scientific background to disseminate and discuss scientific evidence and complex medical information:
- MD and/or PhD and/or equally qualified healthcare professional preferably with proven MSL or Medical Affairs Manager experience. Degree in medical/natural science (PhD, MD) is preferred.
- 5 years post graduate experience within the health care industry is preferred
- Clinical trial experience with knowledge of GCP is beneficial
- Training in reporting of adverse events is preferred
- Proven understanding of the medical device or pharmaceutical environment and healthcare systems
- Proven ability to develop and implement medical-scientific strategies and action plans (including the organization, management and implementation of HCP training and education activities/programmes)
- Computer literacy and Windows Office tools skills
- Experience with literature review (analysis and synthesis)
- Experience in public presentation
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an e-mail to Americas_TTA@baxter.com and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.