Legal CounselReq # JR - 031751 Location Mississauga, Ontario Job Category Administrative Date posted 12/17/2020
This is where you save and sustain lives
At Baxter, we are deeply connected by our mission. No matter your role at Baxter, your work makes a positive impact on people around the world. You'll feel a sense of purpose throughout the organization, as we know our work improves outcomes for millions of patients.
Baxter's products and therapies are found in almost every hospital worldwide, in clinics and in the home. For over 85 years, we have pioneered significant medical innovations that transform healthcare.
Together, we create a place where we are happy, successful and inspire each other. This is where you can do your best work.
Join us at the intersection of saving and sustaining lives—where your purpose accelerates our mission.
Baxter Canada is seeking a transactional lawyer to serve as Legal Counsel providing legal support and advice to Baxter’s sales, marketing and commercial organization. Working with minimal supervision, the successful candidate will provide legal guidance and counseling regarding a variety of issues, draft/review agreements, resolve contract compliance-related inquiries and routine legal questions, develop/revise templates, conduct legal research, prepare memos on various topics, oversee projects and perform other tasks while appropriately seeking input from various organizational groups and the review/approval of the Director, Legal (Canada).The successful candidate will embrace Baxter Legal Department’s professional standards to be a valued business lawyer and a strong, collaborative team player.
- Draft, negotiate, review and execute a wide variety of contracts on behalf of the company, including services agreements, distribution agreements, purchase agreements, software license agreements, NDAs, notices, letters of intent, consent letters, and other correspondence.
- Provide day-to-day legal counseling on marketing, sales and healthcare legal matters.
- Maintain templates and suggesting updates, and creating new templates, as requested, for review and approval of the Director, Legal (Canada).
- Assisting in the processing of Baxter's template agreements from initial drafting to finalization; manage and handle follow up communications with business personnel outlining Baxter's contractual obligations; and assist in organizing documents for a variety of tasks.
- Conduct legal research and prepare memos on various legal questions.
- Assist the Director of Legal (Canada) in the evaluation of existing department and procedures/processes to help grow department efficiency and productivity.
- Coordinate and conduct training for employees as required by the Director of Legal (Canada).
- Provideaccurate, efficient and timely support to business stakeholders and colleagues in function areas.
- Communicate effectively (in person, in writing, by telephone, by e-mail) with both internal and external stakeholders at all levels within their respective organizations, in a professional and competent manner, using discretion and independent judgment.
- Work with Senior Paralegal on issues to ensure Global compliance requirements are met.
- Participate as legal representative on various cross-functional teams and projects.
- Oversee special projects led by the Legal Department.
- Leading process innovation to develop/identify procedural gaps, drive for improvements, efficiencies, achieve results and enhance relationships with internal business customers.
- Carry out additional activities as required.
- Stay current with legal, regulatory and governmental developments impacting the business.
Education and experience:
LLB, called to the Bar in the Province of Ontario
Contract law, health law, IP law, privacy legislation, healthcare regulations, procurement law, competition law, digital transformation legal issues.
At least five to ten years’ experience working in the corporate department of a law firm, with commercial experience, or for an in-house corporate legal department of a large corporation.
Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, along with the ability to communicate effectively with others at all levels of the organization
Strong oral and written communication skills whilst being highly detail oriented
Ability to collaborate and work with all types of individuals at all levels, internal and external, including attorneys, paralegals and business contacts
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.