Environmental SpecialistReq # JR - 049971 Location Marion, North Carolina, United States Job Category EHS Date posted 01/19/2022
This is where you save and sustain lives
At Baxter, we are deeply connected by our mission. No matter your role at Baxter, your work makes a positive impact on people around the world. You’ll feel a sense of purpose throughout the organization, as we know our work improves outcomes for millions of patients.
Baxter’s products and therapies are found in almost every hospital worldwide, in clinics and in the home. For over 85 years, we have pioneered significant medical innovations that transform healthcare.
Together, we create a place where we are happy, successful and inspire each other. This is where you can do your best work.
Join us at the intersection of saving and sustaining lives— where your purpose accelerates our mission.
Responsible for supporting the development and implementation of environmental programs for a 1.4 M sq. ft. medical solution manufacturing facility. Provide professional, technical problem solving and administrative coordination of environmental programs, policies, and regulations. Lead the development and implementation of projects related to environmental regulatory compliance and sustainability programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (these are primary responsibilities of the role and the incumbent will perform other duties as assigned):
- Manage environmental and sustainability programs, permits, and reporting in program areas including but not limited to: Air, Hazardous Waste, Risk Management, Recycling, Emergency Response, Spill Prevention, Stormwater Control, ISO 14001 and associated reporting obligations.
- Knowledgeable and proficient with: Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, SPCC, EPCRA, RCRA, ISO 14001
- Interpret environmental regulations concerning compliance with Local, State and Federal laws.
- Monitor regulatory updates and changes to applicable environmental regulations
- Responsible for employee training, managing and assigning work for environmental compliance activities.
- Management of projects, contractors, consultants, and resources for regulatory compliance and monitoring programs.
- Develop and partner with facility personnel to implement process related control upgrades and documentation for environmental regulatory compliance, and safety programs.
- Development and management of various environmental, sustainability, and facility improvement projects from initiation to execution and final delivery.
- Monitoring and controlling the various regulatory obligations and sustainability metrics, KPIs, while providing updates to internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop and manage the facility’s Environmental Procedures, ensuring they are consistent with Baxter corporate guidance
- Implement and maintain solid and hazardous waste programs
- Interface daily with employees and management to explain environmental requirements and to answer questions.
- Track and communicate regulatory requirements to facility personnel; work with facility staff to develop plans that can be executed to assure the site’s activities are conducted in compliance with all applicable Federal, State and local laws.
- Support the health and safety program by conducting facility inspections, incident response/case management, root cause analysis, and employee training
Job Requirements (Education, Experience and Qualifications):
- Knowledgeable with: Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, SPCC, EPCRA, RCRA, ISO 14001
- Demonstrated project management of environmental capital projects
- Experience with environmental permitting, especially NESHAP and NPDES requirements
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend written environmental laws and regulations and apply to an industrial manufacturing setting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills both orally and written.
- Demonstrated ability to absorb technical information and put into practical applied use.
- Demonstrated ability to use a personal computer with current available software.
- Demonstrated skill in setting objectives and managing projects.
- Basic understanding of chemistry and safety data sheets
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental or Engineering or similar technical degree, required.
- Two to four years experience with EPA regulations and environmental law.
- Team experience preferred including communicating requirements in an organizational setting.
- Project experience designing and implementing improvements to waste and recycle streams desired.
Physical / Safety Requirements
- Duties may require overtime work, including nights and weekends
- Use of hands and fingers to manipulate office equipment is required
- Position requires standing and walking for extended periods of time
- Majority of work is indoors with a minor amount outdoors.
- Outside inspections of the grounds and the facility roof is required frequently.
- Some overnight travel is required using commercial airlines and company automobiles.
The successful candidate for this job may be required to verify that he or she has been vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for individuals with medical conditions or religious beliefs that prevent vaccination, and in accordance with applicable law.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Poster Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities globally. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please click on the link here and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.
Recruitment Fraud Notice
Baxter has discovered incidents of employment scams, where fraudulent parties pose as Baxter employees, recruiters, or other agents, and engage with online job seekers in an attempt to steal personal and/or financial information. To learn how you can protect yourself, review our Recruitment Fraud Notice.
Marion, NC 28752
United States of America Explore Now
Join Our Talent Community
We're grateful for your interest in a career with Baxter, and would like to get to know you. Joining our Talent Community is a great way to stay connected, learn more about Baxter, and help our recruiters find you if there's an opportunity that aligns with your background, skills and interests.Join Now