Medical Science Liaison IIReq # JR - 025759 Location Deerfield, Illinois, United States Job Category Clinical Date posted 08/12/2020
Are you looking for a career that matters?
We believe every person deserves a chance for a healthy life, free from illness and full of possibility. We see a world full of healing, with viable care options available to those with limited choices today. We envision new ways of providing physicians, pharmacists and nurses with technologies that not only treat chronic diseases, but also work to prevent them. We’re looking for team members who are motivated to learn, grow and innovate, while making a meaningful difference for millions of people around the world.
Learn more about how Baxter is At the Intersection of Saving and Sustaining Lives.
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) functions as a field-based member of the Medical Affairs group in US Hospital Products, Baxter Healthcare Corporation. Medical Science Liaisons are healthcare professionals who interact with the scientific clinical community, key opinion leaders (KOLs), researchers, and medical, pharmacy, and nursing educators. They are a point of contact with clinical investigators seeking investigator-initiated trial (IIT) support and with scientific experts to identify opportunities and sites for future Baxter sponsored research. Medical Science Liaisons develop professional relationships with KOLs in key therapeutic areas of the US Hospital Products (USHP) business, primarily for Nutrition including compounding but in all areas of USHP. They participate in training sessions, deliver clinical/scientific presentations, and attend medical congresses and company-sponsored scientific symposia. This group will collaborate with the internal Medical Affairs teams in their therapeutic area of expertise to provide scientific information relevant to the launch of new products, support key product strategies and publications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify, establish, and maintain scientific peer-to-peer relationships with Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) and health care professionals in US Hospital Products area, particularly in Nutrition, by partnering with them on quality scientific projects, presenting balanced scientific data, designing advanced educational forums and providing scientific support in the development of clinical publications in accordance with company policies, applicable laws, regulations and ethical standards.
- Provide medical and scientific leadership through near and long term country-specific strategic direction as well as development of the scientific platform for US Hospital Products area
- Design or support advisory boards, clinical investigator meetings, educational forums and organize and chair roundtable and educational meetings as needed for US Hospital Products
- Collaborate with business partners to develop long-term strategic plans as well as Medical Affairs Plans including comprehensive thought leader plans for US Hospital Products
- Attend and provide scientific support at R&D exhibits and scientific sessions at regional, national, and international medical conferences. Identify and communicate new scientific findings and opportunities or threats that could impact the US Hospital product portfolio.
- Represent US Hospital Products Med Affairs in various internal and external meetings as requested.
- Maintain medical and scientific partnership with the Global medical affairs organizations. Ensure optimal alignment on strategies and systemic collaboration on shared interests, (like data, clinical trials, publications, tactics, literature services, ad-boards, CMEs, etc.)
- Support the management of Grants & Sponsorships ensuring proper documentation, contracts and payment.
- Maintain compliancewith all internal and external legal and regulatory guidelines.
- Interface with Regional and Global counterparts within Medical Affairs and commercial teams.
- Act as primary liaison to investigators interested in developing and performing Investigator Initiated Studies(IIS).
- Provides Medical support to RA, Medical Information, HEOR and other functions as needed (Ad-Prom, Label review, Standard Response Letters review, etc…)
- Participate and involve the MSL in clinical/scientific training of sales team members and other Baxter Functional representatives.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. List knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Formal scientific, clinical education and/or relevant experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience must include key opinion leader development to establish and maintain peer-to-peer relationships
- Expertise in developing clinical presentations and medical education
- Comprehension of the clinical and regulatory requirements for a field-based medical organization
- Effective leadership, interpersonal, analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and in groups in a collegial manner to manage projects and timelines
- Proven teaching capabilities and understanding of adult learning concepts
- Effective critical thinking skills and strategy development
Education and/or Experience:
- Healthcare professional with at least 5 years clinical experience. Advanced degree in Nutrition or Clinical Pharmacy with nutrition expertise required. Required credentials include RD, MSRD, RPh, Pharm D, BCNSP or PhD highly preferred.
- 5-10 years experience within the health care industry preferably with 5 years of industry experience as a field MSL.
- Pediatric experience a plus.
- Clinical trial experience with working knowledge of GCP
- Training in reporting of adverse events
- Basic knowledge of biostatistics and trial design
- Computer literacy and PowerPoint skills
- Experience with literature review, synthesis and analysis
- Experience in public presentation required
- Travel will be required and will involve a minimum of 50%. (nationally)
- Must have experience in forming strong strategic alliances with business partners and colleagues and an understanding of the Clinical and Regulatory requirements in a field-based medical organization.
- Must have effective leadership, interpersonal, analytical and problem- solving skills.
- Must be able to work independently and within groups in a collegial manner.
- Excellent basic and clinical science working knowledge of Hospital products is required
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Poster Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an e-mail to Americas_TTA@baxter.com and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.