Research Scientist I Extractables and Leachables
DescriptionOur employees around the world are connected by an enduring commitment to save and sustain lives. This higher purpose binds us as a company in doing work that matters.Do you want to know why it is so wonderful to work for Baxter? Go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY89yj_zSIo
As research Scientist I you will be a member of the Extractables and Leachables team, part of Analytical Chemistry and Investigations (ACI) that applies analytical and subject matter expertise to sustain life saving products on the market and ensures progression of a diverse product portfolio within Research and Development. You will be recognized for your in-depth understanding of E&L, taking on the role of a regional point of contact for the E&L team. You will have responsibility for the oversight of all regional project related activity, managing key stakeholders and customers and collaborating with a multidisciplinary team of subject matter experts to develop and execute experimental studies that characterize materials. The data generated plays a pivotal role in demonstrating the safety of materials in the application in which they are used. The scientist in this role will will have proven expertise in chromatographic and mass spectroscopic techniques, applied within a highly regulated environment and strong analytical background, with an interest in analytical innovation, process improvement, strategic initiatives and operational activities.
More specifically, you will:
- Be the regional point of contact for the Extractable & Leachable team
- Oversee and manage a diverse range of projects of high complexity
- Lead internal initiatives that enhance the operational excellence of the Extractable and Leachable team
- Contribute to initiatives that influence the regulatory and external environment
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of subject matter experts to develop Extractable & Leachable strategies that align to regulatory requirements for medical devices and pharmaceuticals
- Be sought out by other teams an d individuals to offer technical advice; may act as coach, mentor, supervisor and technical advisor to junior members within the team
- Develop new or improved techniques and procedures around specific tasks; write and implement SOP's. Develop research outlines for large scientific projects. Apply state-of-the-art techniques in the area of expertise to develop new or improved products.
- Apply practical and theoretical expertise in chromatographic (GC and LC), spectroscopic and mass spectrometry techniques to develop and execute non-routine experimental protocols
- Interface with internal partners to interpret complex analytical data; including quantitation, structural elucidation and toxicological assessment
- Innovate and implement novel technical approaches to trace analysis
- Comply with and has an in-depth knowledge of industry recognized quality systems cGMP and/or GLP, is able to provide expert insights into such regulations so as to facilitate efficient product registration.
- Author and review a variety of technical reports, protocols and regulatory dossiers
- Present research results at external conferences, publish articles in journals and/or file patents
- Supervise and/or direct the laboratory work for lower level research associates
Who you are
- Bachelor's degree or Master Degree in a scientific discipline with at least 10 years of relevant experience, or PhD with at least 4 years of relevant experience.
- In depth (5+ years) understanding of Extractables and Leachables
- Knowledge of Extractables & Leachables and related disciplines, plus knowledge of quality and general business systems.
- Proven expertise in chromatographic and mass spectroscopic techniques, applied within a highly regulated environment
- Strong ability to negotiate for resources and influence others internally and externally.
- Able to challenge the status quo.
Able to contribute in setting strategic scientific direction for the organization and communicate the vision to management
Can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty; can decide and act without having the total picture.
Ability to design experiments and draw meaningful conclusions from lab data.
Experience with polymer resins or material selection for the design and manufacturing of packaging systems and medical devices is a plus.
It is a challenging opportunity for you and also a chance to work in a diverse team with a great mix of people. Joining Baxter means joining a team that you can truly learn from! We encourage our employees to develop their skills to meet the demands of an ever-changing work environment, providing them with opportunities to achieve personal and professional goals that will make them valued contributors throughout their careers. If you have an interest in this great opportunity and think you can make a difference then this could well be the role for you.If you want to learn more about career opportunities go to http://www.baxter.com/careers.page
Who we are
Baxter touches millions of lives every day. Our products and services are essential building blocks of healthcare. You’ll find Baxter’s products and therapies on nearly every floor, in almost every hospital worldwide. You’ll find us in clinics and in the home. Patients and providers rely on Baxter for lifesaving renal and medical products.Our mission to save and sustain lives inspires our work and our commitment to expanding access to care, providing cost-effective healthcare solutions, delivering quality products and advancing innovations for the world.Our 50,000 employees serve patients and clinicians in more than 100 countries and are dedicated to ensuring Baxter is there when patients need care. Our inclusive culture and a diverse workforce drives innovation, creates trusted partnerships with customers, suppliers, and community partners, and contributes to the success and sustainability of our business. Every day at Baxter is a chance to save and sustain lives
Equal Opportunity Employer Discrimination: Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO AGENCIES:Baxter does not accept referrals from recruitment agencies regarding the jobs posted on this site unless formally instructed by Baxter. Recruitment agencies are required to contact Baxter’s Human Resources department to obtain prior written approval before referring any candidates to Baxter. Obtaining the prior written approval is a prerequisite to any agreement between the recruitment agency and Baxter. In the absence of such written approval or Baxter purchase order, any actions undertaken by the recruitment agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent of Baxter. Baxter shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by recruitment agencies as regards the vacancies posted on this site.