Material Handler, Pouching
Every day, Baxter touches the lives of millions of patients and providers worldwide who rely on our essential hospital and renal products and services. You’ll find Baxter’s products and therapies on nearly every floor, in almost every hospital worldwide, in clinics and in the home. Baxter’s employees are building upon the company’s rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of healthcare innovations that enable patient care. Our commitment to our mission means we are there when patients and healthcare professionals need us, during the critical moments that matter most.
The Material Handler, Pouch contributes to our mission of saving and sustaining lives by supplying materials to the Pouching line, operating and performing minor maintenance on line machinery, visually inspecting and then transporting IV therapies, premixed drugs, renal therapies and other sterile solutions.
Essential Job Duties
- Identify each truck and transport filled and assembled bags using a powered industrial truck from the truck loader to sterilization
- Pre-Op and change out batteries on the powered industrial truck (if required)
- Keep the truck loader continuously supplied with empty/cleared trucks to be loaded
- Responsible for procuring and staging production supplies (i.e. rollstock and over-pouches) as indicated on the Bill of Material (BOM) and for restocking unused supplies
- Clear or correct faults/alarms, operate and make adjustments as necessary to automated truck loading machinery and/or automated over-pouchers
- Perform adjustments and minor maintenance on the pouch sealer, trucks and belts
- Document required information on manufacturing logs and/or POMS system
- Visually inspect each bag for defects and categorize and log any defects identified
- Perform scheduled quality checks using an assortment of gauges and a scale
- Unpackage product and reinspect when necessary
- Notify the supervisor and take appropriate action if any safety, quality, mechanical or discrepancy issues occur
- Assists in performing line clearance and end of shift clean up including counting, cutting and the weighing of scrap
- Sustain a clean and safe work area using 6S principles
- Learn, understand and apply rigorous quality standards, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP)
- In a Class III Controlled Environment which includes the following dress/gowning requirements: safety glasses, ear plugs, hairnet and beard cover (additional PPE required when cleaning and manually loading trucks)
- There is constant or intermittent noise and vibration.
- This position involves working around equipment, machinery and belts
- Requires occasionally working with chemical cleaners and disinfectants
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have basic English written and oral communication skills adequate to communicate with other team members.
- Understand verbal and written safety and quality instructions and read and comprehend written work instructions including words and drawings
- Must have the Level 5/6 certification
- Must be able to perform basic mathematics
- Possess or be able to obtain Worksaver Operator Certification
- Possess or be able to obtain Inspector Certification
- Basic computer skills required
- One year of manufacturing experience
- CRC (Career Readiness Certification) Silver level
- This position requires frequent grasping, pushing/pulling and reaching with hands and arms. The position also involves lifting up to 50 pounds occasionally throughout the shift
- Normal visual acuity and the ability to distinguish color are necessary
- Must be able to pass the Powered Industrial Truck (P.I.T.) physical
- Occasionally specialized physicals are required when working with certain drug codes.
- Must be able to squat, climb, reach above shoulder level, reach at or below shoulder level, kneel, twist and bend at the neck, twist and bend at the waist and balance
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Overtime is worked as required. Some job duties are performed on a rotating basis.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an email to Corporate_Staffing_Deerfield@baxter.com or call 877-229-4748 (877-BaxHR4U) and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.