Sr Mgr, Engineering - Round Lake, IL
DescriptionPosition is a Senior Manager, Engineering supporting Medication Delivery products. The products include infusion pumps, syringe pumps and pain control pumps. Position provides direction and leadership to Product Development project teams as assigned to introduce new products, improve products, and transfer products into production as well as sustaining products organization. The role provides review and approval of complex design concepts and provides general direction to technical staff all based on significant technical expertise. The role also utilizes a solid understanding of theories and practices of a variety of disciplines to manage complex projects or programs within boundaries of quality, time and budget.
Supervision Exercised: The role performs the direct management of an electronics systems group dedicated to Medication Delivery products. May manage complete multifunctional project teams.
• Lead the development and integration of project strategies which may cross several disciplines; evaluate alternatives against agreed criteria. With team, select strategies and appropriate level of risk and understanding full range of implications across the system.
• Develop easy to follow metric for reporting projects status to upper management.
• Develop and implement new product/processes requiring development of technologies.
• Plan and schedule project implementation. Responsible for defining scope of work for project team.
• Manage, identify, hire, develop and recognize technical staff; Create and maintain employee and organizational development; as well as HR plans which meet business needs.
• Support and mentor the technical staff on strategic innovation-linked product and patent opportunities, identify competitively help patents.
• Apply specialized knowledge in a creative way to a broad range of difficult problems.
• Review and analyze proposals to determine if benefits derived and possible applications justify expenditures. Approve and submit proposal to Sr. Management. Responsible for preparation of project cost estimates up to multi-million dollar range. Manages and forecasts all project expenditures and cost tracking.
• Responsible for policy setting and defining procedures for the staff in accomplishing and documenting projects. Assist in the development of overall engineering department policy.
• Approve protocols and support documentation (engineering change requests, system change forms, etc.) in order to secure project release.
• Develop staff members to assume technical approver role.
• Develop strategic resource plan from multiple global locations and engineering resources.
• Support the identification and implementation of future, breakthrough technologies that will improve the overall competitiveness and cost position of our product lines.
• Initiate, develop and lead technical feasibility analysis where new and unproven methods and technologies are required.
BS in electrical, or related engineering discipline, MS preferred, 12+ years of experience
Must be well versed in engineering disciplines (e.g. analog and digital electronics, power electronics, motor controls and sensors, EMC/EMI design). Must possess knowledge of related disciplines.
Hands-on electromechanical products design, development and manufacturing. Experience with analytical design methods, a plus.
Knowledge of GMPs, FDA guidelines – particularly of design controls, and process validation.
Must be self-motivated, have good interpersonal skills, capable of analyzing and solving complex problems through innovative thought and experience.
Ability to manage multiple cross-functional teams simultaneously.
Ability to influence outside of immediate scope of responsibility.
Maintain industry contacts and be involved in industry interest groups.
Proven track record of management/leadership effectiveness.
Full product life cycle management experience preferred.
Design for Six Sigma and Lean experience, a plus.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an email to Corporate_Staffing_Deerfield@baxter.com or call 877-229-4748 (877-BaxHR4U) and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.