Group Manager, Advanced Surgery Portfolio Strategy & Business Development
Baxter provides a broad portfolio of essential renal and hospital products, including home, acute and in-center dialysis; sterile IV solutions; infusion systems and devices; parenteral nutrition products; anesthetics; surgical sealants and hemostatic agents and pharmacy automation, software and services. The company’s global footprint and the critical nature of its products and services play a key role in expanding access to healthcare in emerging and developed countries. Baxter’s employees worldwide are building upon the company’s rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of healthcare innovations that enable patient care.
Baxter's Advanced Surgery business unit offers a comprehensive line of biologic and synthetic products that advances surgical care. We apply a combination of expertise in preparation and delivery devices to ensure that our products provide speed, consistency, and ease of use based on the latest scientific advances in the field.
· The Group Manager, Portfolio Strategy & Business Development role is responsible for providing cross-portfolio leadership for the Advanced Surgery business, including leading the research and evaluation of core and adjacent opportunities and market growth initiatives.
· Lead the research, analysis and guidance for Advanced Surgery Business Development and M&A opportunities including evaluation of business adjacencies & potential partnerships (including acquisitions, JVs / partnerships, equity investments, & co-development arrangements)
· BD analysis / business case ownership, including strategy work, financial modeling and valuation analysis, pitch creation, and leading and working with cross-functional teams
· Drive recommendations and BD-related decision making, e.g. which markets / segments / potential targets to pursue and why
· Help build, manage, & track a deal pipeline on an ongoing basis
· Interacting with senior-level internal and external leadership, including managing discussions and relationships with senior-level executives and advisors outside the company
· Role is a key interface to the Corporate BD / M&A team
· Example deliverables include: Make vs. buy analysis, prioritized target list, business case / pro forma assumptions and due diligence reporting
· Significant cross-functional leadership capabilities with demonstrated ability to lead, collaborate with various stakeholders in a matrix organization (functions, regions, country/clusters) and influence without authority.
· Prudent risk taker; sound business judgment
· Skilled in conflict resolution, influencing, partnering
· Proven success in driving results, taking ownership with entrepreneurial spirit to get things done
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, in addition to excellent interpersonal and presentation skills, including significant experience presenting complex business cases to senior cross-functional audiences and executive committees, a must
· Experience working in a strategy/business development/M&A, preferably with a track record of completed transactions
· Experience framing and guiding strategic problem solving to inform decision-making, leveraging hypotheses generations, secondary data analyses and other analytical tools. Ability to apply these approaches to solving complex business problems.
· Minimum of a Bachelor's degree. Technical background and/or MBA preferred
· Experience in strategy development and/or financial/analytics experience
· 7+ years minimum professional work experience in the healthcare industry preferred
· Ability to understand and learn diverse Advanced Surgery therapeutic areas
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an e-mail to Americas_TTA@baxter.com and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.