Senior Counsel, Privacy Officer- EMEA
Senior Counsel, Privacy OfficerBaxter International
Note: Relocation Support may be Available
Baxter provides a broad portfolio of essential renal and hospital products, including home, acute and in-center dialysis; sterile IV solutions; infusion systems and devices; parenteral nutrition; surgery products and anesthetics; and pharmacy automation, software and services.
The company’s global footprint and the critical nature of its products and services play a key role in expanding access to healthcare in emerging and developed countries.
Baxter’s employees worldwide are building upon the company’s rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of healthcare innovations that enable patient care.
The Senior Counsel, Privacy Officer - EMEA will join Baxter’s Global Privacy Office and will report to the Chief Privacy Officer.
Baxter has launched a search for a sophisticated privacy lawyer to serve in a global leadership role and as the lead privacy lawyer for Baxter’s EMEA region. We are seeking a lawyer who could act in the capacity of Data Privacy Officer as required by GDPR. The successful candidate will serve as a trusted advisor to the leadership and legal and compliance teams of a complex, multinational, and heavily regulated global healthcare company. This is an exciting opportunity for a privacy executive to lead the development of a world class privacy program that complies with GDPR. The successful candidate will have responsibility for overseeing data privacy programs, managing breach incidents, training, and overseeing audits and investigations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Working with the Chief Privacy Officer serve as a global leader within privacy and legal.
Drive Baxter’s GDPR compliance efforts and spearhead a culture of privacy.
Work closely with Baxter’s business and R&D leaders to implement privacy requirements into product offerings at the development stage.
Maintain up to date privacy expertise, skills, and competency regarding evolving laws, regulations, guidance and directives impacting Baxter internationally.
Provide leadership through leveraging of business and industry information to enable the business or region in identifying and solving business issues.
Provide advice and counsel to Baxter on privacy and security matters.
Act as a champion for Baxter’s Global Privacy Program.
Conduct privacy impact assessments.
Work collaboratively with partners in the Law Department and IT to ensure effective implementation of the privacy program at Baxter.
Develop and implement policies and procedures in support of the company’s privacy program and to prevent and detect conduct inconsistent with the company’s privacy policies and the law.
Drive awareness and the importance of privacy and identify areas of vulnerability and risk and undertake corrective plans to resolve the issues.
Performing special assignments or projects as assigned.
Conduct or participate in internal investigations of allegations of potential violations of company policy or the law.
Education / Certifications
Law Degree from a recognized institution and admission to practice in an EU country. LLM from a US/UK law school preferred.
- Sophisticated legal and privacy experience. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience gained from a mix of law firm private practice and in-house positions, At least 2 years in-house experience working in Privacy.
- Healthcare experience required. Medical Device and international experience strongly preferred.
- Expert knowledge of global data privacy and security requirements including GDPR.
- Experience in managing data incidents and breaches.
- Proven experience with counseling business clients.
- Experience leading and developing formal or informal teams of legal professionals.
- Experience in addressing multinational legal issues.
- Consistently and broadly recognized achievement of the Law Department’s Professional Standards.
- Fluency in English.
- Proven track record in working with others in addressing privacy issues within complex organization environment.
- Proactive business minded attorney with a history of identifying and solving business issues in addition to providing practical legal advice.
- High degree of accountability, professional motivation and drive with the resulting ability to thrive in a results oriented culture while driving excellence to optimize the execution of transactions.
- Proven history of proactively identifying and researching legal risks and issues and effectively counselling clients regarding same providing actionable risk mitigation strategies.
- Strong ability to work with and coordinate activities across a large number of individuals across various functional areas and effectively communicate the impact of law and regulation on business operations in a solutions-oriented manner.
- Experience working in a global company and matrixed environment desired.
- A self-motivated individual with the ability to run autonomously in a complex global environment combined with possessing sound judgment and skills to collaborate with remote leadership and escalate issues as necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with cross functional teams and strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Dynamic individual with a strategic mind-set, confidence and the ability to stand their ground when in discussions and putting points across to others, when necessary.
- Persuasive and able to influence without direct authority.
- Proactive in ‘reaching-out’ to people in providing advice as well as adopts an ‘open-communication’ style towards others.
- Strong legal skills and mature judgment with the ability to devise creative solutions to effectively drive toward recommendations and closure.
- Unquestioned integrity and ethics in business and personal conduct combined with ability handle confidential and sensitive matters with discretion.
- Strong fact gathering and analytical skills.
- A big picture thinker and solutions oriented lawyer with a “hands-on” energetic approach and style coupled with a strong work ethic.
- Fast and nimble, able to pivot between audiences and provide sound legal and business advice in a timely fashion.
- Global perspective and exposure to other cultures.
- Ability to travel.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an e-mail to Americas_TTA@baxter.com and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.