Commercial Business Manager Advanced Surgery UKI
Baxter provides a broad portfolio of essential renal and hospital products, including home, acute and in-centre dialysis; sterile IV solutions; infusion systems and devices; parenteral nutrition; surgery products and anesthetics; and pharmacy automation, software and services. The company’s global footprint and the critical nature of its products and services play a key role in expanding access to healthcare in emerging and developed countries. Baxter’s employees worldwide are building upon the company’s rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of healthcare innovations that enable patient care.
A Career That Matters
Baxter’s employees are united in a mission to save and sustain lives. We are passionate about applying scientific innovation to meet the needs of the millions of people worldwide who depend on our medically necessary therapies and technologies. We focus on increasing access to healthcare, innovating in crucial areas of unmet need, and pursuing creative collaborations that bring our mission to life for patients every day.
This role has been established to maximize the UK and Ireland Advanced Surgery team’s ability to meet the financial target of $36m.
The primary purpose of this role is to develop a proactive and strategic approach to commercial engagement with all commercial contract providers in the UK.
As well as working closely with the RSMs, Account Managers and Marketing to enhance understanding of the Future Operating Model of the NHS and what it means to AS. They will also provide essential expertise in driving engagement with procurement to ensure profitable growth within this product portfolio.
This role is a very diverse role and will need an individual who has the skills to work with a broad stakeholder group to ensure we sustain and grow a robust business moving forward.aaa
- Lead Baxter Advanced Surgery (AS) approach to economic stakeholders and purchasers, in the light of strategic changes impacting the Surgery business, such as Category Towers, purchasing power concentration, GPOs and buying groups, operating with increasing price transparency.
- Identify and execute proactive plans for growth across the full AS portfolio in the Private Hospital Groups
- Work closely with One Baxter CBM team to maintain appropriate business relationships with, and to review performance of, private hospital group contracts and leveraging, where possible, One Baxter value.
- Management of relevant stakeholder and customer groups. These include but are not limited to; Strategic NHS Customers (e.g. NHSSC, Shelford Group), Private healthcare groups (e.g. Spire, Nuffield, BMI, Ramsay), Category Tower Leads for H&S and Procurement collaboratives (e.g. SBS, CPP/ NoE/ LPP/ EoE/ Wales and Scotland).
- Application of Matrix Management skills (“influence without authority”) to gain internal agreement on best approach to relevant accounts and customer groups.
- Delivery of defined Commercial Objectives, focusing on 2-3 Wildly Important Goals that will most influence sales and profitability of the H&S portfolio.
- Carry out regular business reviews with framework / contract providers identifying growth opportunities and communicating the value of doing business with Baxter
- Act as the gatekeeper for tender activities including shaping and work closely with Marketing to ensure efficient tendering processes, consistency in pricing and delivery of appropriate commercial value
- Through effective stakeholder mapping, provide guidance to marketing on stakeholder level objectives and support communication of defined value propositions
- Provide guidance and support as required to the field sales teams on Future Operating model, framework options, structures and specifications to secure new & existing business.
- Independently analyse financial data and make decisions & recommendations based on this analysis.
- Negotiation of volumes, pricing and commercial terms optimal to Baxter across relevant national frameworks
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
• Negotiation skills internally and externally.
• Elaborate and lead pricing strategy and corridors in negotiations with economic stakeholders.
• Matrix management skills.
• Excellent proficiency across MS Office, particularly Excel
• Ability to analyse complex financial data and then make rapid and disciplined business decisions based upon this.
• Presentation skills; able to independently prepare material and confidently deliver to C-level audience, internally and externally.
• Managing ambiguity; able to show leadership in an environment of conflicting priorities and to make decisions independently.
• Team focused; values varied skills, styles and contributions of others and actively seeks feedback.
• Resilience and positivity; responds well to setbacks and shows leadership by proactively encouraging and motivating peers.
• Courage; fails fast and forward, owns responsibility for outcome in challenging situations, proactively leads challenging customer interactions without delegation and owns outcome.
• Intellectual honesty and humility; knows own strengths and limitations, constantly seeking to improve.
• Goal-orientated and motivated by financial achievement.
• Demonstrable experience working in a relevant pharmaceutical or healthcare sales/marketing role. Relevant pharmaceutical or healthcare industry experience in Contracts or Bid Management considered.
• Demonstrated success in Negotiation as opposed to Sales, i.e. securing a desirable commercial outcome through either applying leverage or trading concessions as opposed to persuasion.
• Demonstrated success in driving a Sales or Profitability metric, either directly or as part of a project team.
• Demonstrated success contributing to or ideally leading complex sales processes, selling to multiple stakeholders, with a measurable financial win secured.
• Demonstrated success contributing to or ideally leading tender bid submissions.
• Business or Life Sciences degree.
• Experience managing and negotiating commercial contracts with Private Hospital Groups.
• Experience selling a service or negotiating an operational service element into a complex commercial agreement (e.g. defining service KPIs and related tracking/penalties).
• Familiarity with a recognised negotiating methodology (e.g. Bridgeability or Scotwork).
• Familiarity with a recognised multiple stakeholder selling model (e.g. Miller-Heiman, Complex Sale).
• Working knowledge of EU procurement legislation, Future Operating Model, NHS e-Procurement strategy and Carter Report.
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.