Occupational Health Nurse
Req #: 180005U7_en
Location: Alliston, ON CA
Job Category: EHS
Date Posted: 3/13/2018 2:31:27 PM
This is a permanent full-time position located at our manufacturing facility in Alliston, one hour north of Toronto.
The Occupational Health Nurse proactively supports and maintains the Occupational Health & Safety program for approximately 400 employees in the Alliston Manufacturing facility. This individual acts as a business partner to maximize productivity and reduce health related costs and will have responsibilities in Occupational Health and Safety, Claims Management, Wellness Programs and Medical File Management.
Health and Safety
· Work in conjunction with the health services team to support and maintain facility-level occupational health and safety program to address employee risks and actively participate in determining strategies to reduce those risks
· Provide Occupational Health Services to all employees, including education/training, health promotion and the provision of immediate care for illness/injury.
· Develop, maintain and update Occupational Health policies and procedures to stay in compliance with various Canadian Government regulations and Baxter requirements. (i.e. MOL/WSIB/H&S Act/Baxter Policies)
· Schedule and coordinate appropriate job placement and medical/health surveillance of employees
· Accurately record data on the Occupational Health and Occupational Illness & Injury (OI&I) computer system.
· Co-operate with, and act as a resource to Managers/Supervisors in developing and maintaining a safe work environment.
· Active member of the Health & Safety Committee.
· Facilitate an effective case management program including coordination with other health care professionals, human resources, department managers, and insurance carrier representatives to facilitate timely return to work and appropriate utilization of benefits
· Liaise between Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB), injured employees and their supervisors/managers
· Liaise with Insurance Carrier dealing with Short Term Disability and/or Long Term Disability claims management for all employees
· Preparation of all claim documentation and maintenance of files related to STD, LTD and W.S.I.B., providing regular status updates to HR and Production Managers
· Facilitate the BeWell@Baxter program, and coordinate activities associated with health risk information obtained from the Personal Wellness Profile Tool
· Administer, develop, implement and coordinate a risk-based health promotion program to enhance employee wellbeing
· Maintain an employee medical documentation system for occupational health record keeping and ensure confidentiality
· Ensure all employee workplace required immunizations are up-to-date
· Provide health related counselling and refer employees to EAP as required
· Must be a Registered Nurse, ideally a Certified Occupational Health Nurse (preferred)
· University level education, Bachelor of Nursing
· 3-5 years related experience preferred as a nurse with demonstrated experience in Occupational Health and Safety
· Knowledge or special training in: Ergonomics, WSIB Claims Management, Early and Safe Return to Work, Health Promotion, Respiratory Protection and Hearing Conservation
· Proven problem solving skills and the ability to balance both employee and business needs
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to be an effective facilitator
· Proficient in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Access, Excel and Outlook)
· Ability to work well in a team as well as independently
· Previous experience with adult education and training
· Lean Experience, including 6S, Visual Management and Standard Work
· Training/education in Industrial Hygiene, WHMIS/GHS, Incident Investigations, Machine Safeguarding
· Formal training in Health & Safety and Spills Response
· CPR/1st Aid/AED Training
· R.N. Ethics of Nursing Practice