Medical Global Business Head - Medication Delivery
Medical Global Business Head - Medication Delivery
Baxter provides a broad portfolio of essential renal and hospital products, including home, acute and in-center dialysis; sterile IV solutions; infusion systems and devices; parenteral nutrition; surgery products and anesthetics; and pharmacy automation, software and services.
The company’s global footprint and the critical nature of its products and services play a key role in expanding access to healthcare in emerging and developed countries.
Baxter’s employees worldwide are building upon the company’s rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of healthcare innovations that enable patient care.
This position will work closely with the Medication Delivery, Nutrition, and Baxter Pharmaceuticals Business Unit Heads and regional presidents to ensure appropriate talent and scale are available to support the business. It will report directly to the VP, Head of Medical Affairs. The role provides a high level of medical expertise regarding therapies and products. The role will be responsible for medical oversight for the Medication Delivery, Nutrition (parenteral nutrition), and Global Pharmaceuticals GBUs. This individual will act as the primary spokesperson for the company with key opinion leaders at global scientific conferences and advisory boards and regulatory agencies. The role will be accountable to ensure that global policies and standards for are created and maintained for all aspects of Medical Affairs within the Medication Delivery, Baxter Pharmaceuticals, and Nutrition Business Units.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide key slate and scale of medical talent to the GBU and regional business
- Provide Medical Affairs thought leadership as well as consulting support to patient safety, clinical development and Health economics, to ensure successful product approval, launch, and sustenance.
- Partners with senior management to develop long-range business strategies at the Business Unit level.
- This position is responsible for representing the company with regulatory and legislative agencies and for globally addressing the scientific and medical/health aspects of the company’s product portfolio within this area of responsibility.
- Provide expert opinion and due diligence research on business development opportunities
- Responsible for ensuring business objectives are met. Provide leadership through senior team members, guiding them in terms of prioritization, problem resolution, process clarification, referrals to appropriate experts, etc.
- Develop budgets for cost center within scope of responsibility which ensure the best utilization financial resources.
- Responsible for leading and guiding a small team in execution of business strategies from a medical perspective.
- Provides input in clinical development strategy including Investigator Initiated Research.
- Supports and assists in supervision of clinical studies globally.
- Works in close alignment with the clinical and health economics functions.
- Experience in analyzing and evaluation drug safety data and perform comprehensive risk benefit analysis.
- Understand and effectively communicate to team members about the market dynamics, competitive forces influencing the project, and how the project fits into the function's strategic focus.
- Responsible for Voice of the Customer, medical content of regulatory submissions, and medical support in launch and maintenance of products in the market.
- Develops and maintains strong scientific and medical relationships with Key Opinion Leaders.
- Ensure product development/support activities are coordinated & consistent internationally.
- For the therapeutic area, shape an innovative and results-driven culture, ensuring effective and efficient development of products/technologies that are both market-focused as well as scientifically advanced
- Recruit top-level medical and scientific staff from industry and academia
- Mentor staff and create opportunities for key talent to assume additional responsibilities and leadership roles to facilitate career development and retain talent
- Build key matrix partnerships R&D, Clinical, Regulatory and Global Patient Safety. Expand relationships to other organizations within Baxter including but not limited to Quality, Operations, and Marketing.
- Build a professional network both internally within the business unit, across units and outside of Baxter.
- Broad scientific, technical and regulatory understanding of most of the functions involved in the development of a device and a pharmaceutical product.
- Effective management, interpersonal, communication, negotiation, and problem solving skills.
- Proven track record of problem solving and risk management across portfolios
- Ability to make rapid decisions and take ownership/accountability for key strategic drivers.
- Experience working in a matrix organization and building collaborative relationships across a number of research and business functions.
- Must possess strong knowledge of scientific disciplines and solid knowledge of related disciplines.
- Possesses highly developed business acumen and deals well with ambiguity
- Able to communicate complex scientific/clinical issues in a concise and clear manner to a broad range of audiences
- Must possess strong ability to negotiate for resources and influence others internally and externally.
- Must be able to set strategic direction for the organization and broadly communicate the vision.
- Ability to operate in complex matrix structure
- Leads through influence rather through organizational power
- Has executive presence and ability to influence customer and other stakeholders
- Has broad experience managing key global project and initiatives with known track record of success.
Education and/or Experience:
- MD (an Internist, Hospitalist or General Practitioner) with a strong hospital background. Experience in the United States is essential.
- At least five or more years in pharma drug development or generic drug development
- Minimum five years technical and strategic management experience including cross-functional teams, resource and budget management and strategic development experience
- 15 years of pharmaceutical/device experience including product development and launch experiences.
- 10 years of people management and budget management experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an e-mail to Americas_TTA@baxter.com and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.