Principal Engineer - Electrical
Baxter provides a broad portfolio of essential renal and hospital products, including home, acute and in-center dialysis; sterile IV solutions; infusion systems and devices; parenteral nutrition; surgery products and anesthetics; and pharmacy automation, software and services. The company's global footprint and the critical nature of its products and services play a key role in expanding access to healthcare in emerging and developed countries. Baxter's employees worldwide are building upon the company's rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of healthcare innovations that enable patient care.
The Process Engineering department is part of the Drug Delivery manufacturing operations group. Process engineering work includes project conceptualization, project design-machine design, development of alternatives, project scheduling and control, and project installation and implementation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Utilize engineering principles to provide electrical design work for machine components including packaging equipment with robotics, filling machines with servo-drives, mixing equipment, and the control of this equipment.
- Troubleshoot and solve production problems related to process equipment and develop corrective actions.
- Research the purchase of new equipment or equipment upgrades to existing process equipment.
- Develop and test models of alternate designs and processing methods to assess feasibility, operating condition effects, possible new applications, and necessity of modification.
- Must be able to read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, and computer-generated reports.
- Research and analyze custom equipment, design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications
- Estimate costs and submit bids for engineering work including the preparation of capital authorization requests
- Support projects and manufacturing functions on a 24/7 basis.
Qualifications for this role
- Candidates must not be allergic to Penicillin or Cephalosporins
- Able to solve complex electrical, programming and machine design problems. Must plan and design processing equipment to meet the anticipated needs of manufacturing.
- Knowledge of PLCs and robotics and automation control systems, including TI and A-B.
- Ability to work with Process Control Instrumentation and PID algorithms.
- Able to develop engineering specifications and insure compliance to codes, standards, policy, regulatory issues, GMP and good engineering practices.
- Basic to moderate skill base in the use of AUTOCAD.
- Knowledge of various programs such as Visual Basic, RSLogix, Intellution, IFIX, Solid Works – COSMOS, etc
- With minimal guidance, must be able to participate or lead teams through the execution of multiple smaller projects or a defined larger project. This includes preparing detailed project schedules, project cost estimates, or interfacing with other technical support groups or engineering groups.
- The incumbent will work closely with mechanics, engineers, and managers. Must be able to work with consultants, contractors, and trades employees as projects are designed or installed. Must be able to coordinate and supervise the activities of contractors.
- Must be able to communicate with upper levels of plant management concerning status of engineering projects and upper management in other divisions of Baxter or other business units for whom the Process Engineering department would design and construct process systems.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in verbal or written form.
- Must plan, justify, and prepare capital authorization requests for Process Engineering projects.
- Database maintenance and design experience a plus.
- A familiarity/working knowledge of Lean Manufacturing principles in the analysis of technical problems and in the management of daily engineering activities is a plus.
- More than Five years of Engineering experience in electromechanical machine design or electrical process systems design is preferred.