Director, Operational Excellence - Supply Chain
Director, Operational Excellence - Supply Chain
Baxter International Inc.
Baxter provides a broad portfolio of essential renal and hospital products, including home, acute and in-center dialysis; sterile IV solutions; infusion systems and devices; parenteral nutrition; surgery products and anesthetics; and pharmacy automation, software and services. The company’s global footprint and the critical nature of its products and services play a key role in expanding access to healthcare in emerging and developed countries. Baxter’s employees worldwide are building upon the company’s rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of healthcare innovations that enable patient care.
As a core member of the Corporate Operational Excellence team, this person leads Continuous Improvement efforts in our Distribution Centers and Supply Chain processes to ensure processes meet functional and operational goals including Quality, Productivity, and Lead Time. This role partners with key stakeholders including functional leaders, Operations support functions, and Global Shared Services.
The incumbent must demonstrate a high level of professional expertise and consulting type skills with the ability to influence cross functional teams to ensure the implementation of recommendations to improve operating efficiencies and effectiveness.
These responsibilities call for a strong character, a proven leader with a track record of driving change across the business. The position requires outstanding analytical abilities, as well as a methodical, systematic mindset given the complexity of the position’s scope.
This individual should be a strong team player with highly developed communication and presentation skills. This position reports to the VP of Operational Excellence.
- Partner with Business Process owners (examples include Quality, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Finance, Purchasing, etc.) to develop and deploy strategic improvement initiatives, installing governance, measurement, and reporting processes, resulting in tangible, sustainable, long term performance improvements, meeting or exceeding defined improvement targets.
- Participate in Strategic Planning & Deployment process to define priorities and align with business measures.
- Utilize OpEx Lean and Six Sigma methodologies to enhance business process efficiency, process design, and high quality data and information flow
- Interact on a regular basis with key senior business leaders to ensure business needs are understood and addressed. Develop and deliver presentations to summarize findings and propose recommendations.
- Assist in the coordination and development of the organization’s Operational Excellence deployment plan to include EMS, VIP, Certification Programs, Best Practices Sharing, and others.
- 50% travel -some international
- Be results focused – must have a track record of delivering results with a passion to win;
- Routinely drive change, challenge the status quo, and motivate others to do the same.
- Quickly establish credibility and win respect of key stakeholders by constructively and relentlessly developing and delivering desired process improvements under significant time constraints.
- Excel at matrix management; effectively work with stakeholders, colleagues, senior and line managers at all levels and effectively lead cross-functional process improvement teams to identify and implement process improvements. This includes proven skills in the facilitation of cross-functional improvement workshops.
- Excel at practical problem solving skills with an ability to think systematically. A positive, proactive and non-confrontational approach to problem solving.
- Have demonstrated skills in developing, mentoring, coaching and training others. Strong negotiation and influencing skills. The ability to drive change.
- Possess strong understanding of financial performance reports, and the ability to perform cost/benefit analysis.
- Possess an understanding of many functional disciplines (Example: Manufacturing, Quality, Regulatory Compliance, Supply Chain, Supplier Quality, Materials Planning, etc.)
- Be proficient in computer skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio.
- Have excellent reading, writing and verbal communication in his/her native language as well as in English. Excellent presentation skills. Must be able to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization, from the gemba to the Corporate boardroom.
Education and Experience:
- BS/BA degree or equivalent degree in Business Management, Engineering, or other related field of study. MBA, MS or other technical graduate degree preferred.
- Certified Black Belt, solid knowledge of LEAN Manufacturing principles with a minimum 10 years of business operations and/or plant manufacturing or engineering experience, which includes a minimum of 3+ years of demonstrated process improvement success.
- Broad business knowledge and ability to link customer needs with business processes.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in an international company, interacting with diverse locations across the globe.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an e-mail to Americas_TTA@baxter.com and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.