Director, Operations - External Contract Manufacturing
Operations – External Contract Manufacturing
Baxter provides a broad
portfolio of essential renal and hospital products, including home, acute and
in-center dialysis; sterile IV solutions; infusion systems and devices;
parenteral nutrition; surgery products and anesthetics; and pharmacy
automation, software and services.
The company’s global footprint and the critical nature of its products and services play a key role in expanding access to healthcare in emerging and developed countries.
Baxter’s employees worldwide are building upon the company’s rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of healthcare innovations that enable patient care.
Support the development and implementation for External Contract Manufacturing strategy resulting in key business growth and significant cost savings.
Provide tactical on-site operational and technical support at external manufacturing plants in order to meet start-ups goals and deliver and sustain top quartile ECM performance in quality, supply and cost.
- Own and manage key external manufacturer business relationships and establish relationships with new businesses, building trust, respect and sustainability.
- Manage key ECM operating mechanisms such as due diligence, performance scorecard, quality management review, new product launch and life cycle management.
- Lead standard work for ECM related to due diligence, integrate business upon acquisition and support until steady state is achieved. May own relationship post-steady state.
- Serve as the ECM representative for the Quality Steering Committee
- Assumes operational oversight for Baxter plants upon decision to close and plans and executes transition of products to 3rd parties.
- Lead and drive an operational excellence culture and key programs to achieve robust year-over-year continuous improvements.
- Partner with contract manufacturers to ensure quality, delivery and cost meet or exceed Baxter's expectations. Serve as liaison between company and External Contract Manufacturer network.
- Manage contracts to ensure delivery on company expectations, and meeting budget targets, cost savings and capacity management.
- Assess capabilities and build business models to justify and expand External Contract Manufacturing services.
- Coordinate communication between all applicable internal and external functions/organizations.
- Work with marketing teams on building operational capabilities for new trends and products.
- Partner with PSM and Strategy functions to develop manufacturing and capacity strategies that are consistent with the current and future marketing strategies (short and long term).
- Analyze actual to budget cost variances, identify root cause, and drive cost improvement.
- Manage issues to ensure efficient and effective business resolution.
- Develop and sustain ECM strategy to be used internally and externally.
- Establish key operating mechanisms for ECM core team.
- Lead communication efforts internally and externally.
- Lead performance business reviews with suppliers/contracting organizations.
- Partner with Quality to perform supplier audits.
- Responsible for ECM metrics for scorecard/dashboard.
- Benchmark key competition for final goods,
costing of products, technology and business model. Understand the factors that
influence and shape the market.
- Ability to work and influence across business units and functions, multi-site and multi-cultural.
- Team player with a partnership mindset.
- Executive level presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to execute complex plans on time and on budget.
- Ability to think strategically and to provide clear direction to others.
- Superior analytical, organization, and project management skills.
- Extensive experience in due diligence, mergers and acquisitions.
- Extensive experience in outsourcing and performance management of external manufacturers.
- Demonstrate ability to drive and sustain transformational change.
- Deep knowledge of the industry and key competition.
- Demonstrate ability to execute plant closures and resulting outsourcing to external manufacturers.
- Demonstrate ability to develop and drive continuous improvement programs.
- Skilled in Six Sigma and Quality auditing.
- Negotiation and external manufacturing development experience.
- Must be results-focused.
- Ability to coordinate manufacturing/supply chain solutions in a crisis situation.
- Proven ability to hold others accountable.
- Customer/client service oriented.
- Extensive knowledge of global cGMP manufacturing requirements.
- Ability to understand a variety of ECM cost models.
- Travel 50-70% of the time (domestic and international).
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree or MBA preferred.
- 10-15 plus years of experience working with Marketing, R&D, Supply Chain, Manufacturing, and Quality required. Diverse management experience preferred. Strong financial acumen preferred.
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an e-mail to Americas_TTA@baxter.com and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.