Production Maintenance Technician
Baxter provides a broad portfolio of essential renal and hospital products, including home, acute and in-center dialysis; sterile IV solutions; infusion systems and devices; parenteral nutrition; surgery products and anesthetics; and pharmacy automation, software and services. The company?s global footprint and the critical nature of its products and services play a key role in expanding access to healthcare in emerging and developed countries. Baxter?s employees worldwide are building upon the company?s rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of healthcare innovations that enable patient care.
Successful candidate will work independently supporting maintenance needs of complex, automatedmanufacturing equipment. Maintains a high level of knowledge of the manufacturing processes and equipment to provide support to all needs in all areas. May assist on the design and development of new equipment or processes. Requires strong time management skills to effectively manage project work with unscheduled maintenance needs. Maintenance activities include advanced troubleshooting of mechanical, pneumatic and electrical systems, using the PLC and online ladder logic to troubleshoot machine control issues, equipment performance improvement projects, process validation activities and preventative maintenance. Due to the nature of this position, a very high degree of initiative, teamwork and communication are required. Is expected to lead by example through compliance to all safety and regulatory requirements, demonstrates a good work ethic, performs to high standards and supports continuous learning.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties and responsibilities generally reflect the expectations of this position but are not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Independently troubleshoots complex, automated equipment with a high degree of quality in a sustained quick and reliable problem solving/correction process.
- Supports and performs planned maintenance activities, including preventive maintenance, throughout production
- Continues to learn complex equipment by studying equipment manuals, conducting internet research and utilizing internal knowledge to keep abreast of new technologies, processes and/or equipment.
- Works within Service Technician group to assist in increasing technical knowledge the technical capabilities of less experienced technicians.
- Works with engineers and others during the building and installation of new equipment to ensure attention to maintenance of new equipment, prepares new machine documentation from equipment suppliers based on Gambro’s operating standards.
- Responsible for knowing and following all safety and compliance requirements by maintaining cleanliness within work area, ensuring proper hygiene in work areas at all times and maintaining good documentation practices on all required paperwork.
- Technically identifies and supports process optimization through equipment design improvements, changes to operating procedures and maintenance activities. Implements permanent corrective actions to eliminate recurrent problems.
- Supports equipment validation activities in house or at vendor locations by following Gambro’s standard operating and compliance procedures
- Performs written documentation and regulatory recordkeeping responsibilities as defined in the standard operating procedures for equipment maintenance. Enters data into SAP for tracking purposes.
- May be required to perform other duties and/or lead special projects as required or assigned, reasonably within the scope of the duties listed above. May be required to work on other shifts and/or willing to be “on call” as needed
Qualifications for this role
- Must have good understanding of programmable logic controllers, using the PLC as a troubleshooting tool.
- Ability to modify or develop control logic to enhance equipment performance.
- Strong troubleshooting and project management skills.
- Requires advanced knowledge of electrical, mechanical and pneumatic systems.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical, electrical drawings, flowcharts, and/or other drawings of a technical nature.
- Skilled in Microsoft applications, MS Word and MS Excel.
- Ability to work under pressure and respond with a sense of urgency.
- Continuing and broadening knowledge and scope in maintenance techniques and new equipment technologies.
- Ability to train less experienced team members.
- Work effectively and professionally with employees, team members, engineers, manufacturing management, etc., by using good interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be able to work in an environment without daylight / windows
- Ascends/descends ladders to access machinery
- Lifting and/or moves up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move in excess of 50 pounds using lifting aids, techniques, or appropriate assistance
- Duties may require overtime work, including nights and weekends
- Use of hands and fingers to manipulate equipment is required
- Requires standing, walking, bending, pulling, pushing, climbing and crawling.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Associates degree or above preferred.
- Experience and aptitude for redesign and modification to enhance equipment performance.
- Formal technical degree in electronics, automation systems or related field. Substitution of degree with relevant experience is evaluated on a case-by-case basis to the specific skills required in the work area.
- 8 years practical and comprehensive knowledge required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an email to Corporate_Staffing_Deerfield@baxter.com or call 877-229-4748 (877-BaxHR4U) and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.