Senior Principal UI/UX Designer
Baxter provides a broad portfolio of essential renal and hospital products, including home, acute and in-center dialysis; sterile IV solutions; infusion systems and devices; parenteral nutrition; surgery products and anesthetics; and pharmacy automation, software and services. The company's global footprint and the critical nature of its products and services play a key role in expanding access to healthcare in emerging and developed countries. Baxter's employees worldwide are building upon the company's rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of healthcare innovations that enable patient care.
As Senior Principal Engineer, lead technical team members in the application of User Interface and User Experience techniques to resolve difficult problems, from conception to final design with team input. Plans and leads project assignments in the evaluation, selection and adaptation of various engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria with minimal guidance.
Contributes to a Systems Engineering vision that aligns with the organization's vision and strategic plan. Utilizes solid understanding of User Interface and User Experience best-practice. Provides direction to technical team members that are accountable for implementing User Interface and User Experience deliverables. Exhibits creativity and innovation in completing divisional and cross-functional/business unit goals and objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Execute all visual design stages from concept to final hand-off for software development
- Translating system requirements, software requirements and use cases to mockups, wireframes, and visuals leveraging input from Engineering, Clinical, Marketing, Regulatory, Human Factors.
- Generate iterations of the design that are evaluated by cross-functional teams and decisions documented for software implementation into the product
- Design user experiences for software applications through the creation of interaction flows, design patterns and medium to high fidelity prototypes.
- Produce and maintain pixel perfect graphics, graphical components and graphics asset libraries
- Author UI Design Description and/or Graphic Specification documents
- Deep expertise with Adobe Creative Suite and a variety of design tools for designing, prototyping, and wireframing (including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Balsamiq, InVision, and others)
- Ensure appropriate traceability requirements, designs, graphic specifications and mockups / wireframes / visuals
- Resolve competing constraints between interrelated functions (Engineering, Risk Management, Compliance, Clinical, Human Factors, Regulatory, Marketing, Service)
- Leading, directing and mentoring internal resources as well as potential contractors and/or 3rd party service providers.
- Ensure compliance to the product development process and Quality System and Design Control requirements.
- Collaborate with other system engineering teams within the organization.
Qualifications for this role
- Accomplished in UI/UX design and seeing those designs through implementation.
Skills that are not required but a plus:
- Medical Device experience
- Platforms: Linux/Qt; Windows
- Development Tools: DOORs, Git, Jira
- Display a solid understanding of theories/practices utilized by other disciplines outside primary area of expertise.
- Ability to convince management on courses of action with minimal assistance using both written and verbal methods.
- Effectively operate in and may facilitate cross-functional teams with guidance.
- Must be able to provide solutions that reflect understanding business objectives and cost implications.
Education and Experience
- B.S. (MS preferred) and approximately 10+ years related experience. Provide a portfolio of past relevant work.
A Career That Matters
Baxter's employees are united in a mission to save and sustain lives. We are passionate about applying scientific innovation to meet the needs of the millions of people worldwide who depend on our medically necessary therapies and technologies. We focus on increasing access to healthcare, innovating in crucial areas of unmet need, and pursuing creative collaborations that bring our mission to life for patients every day.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an e-mail to Americas_TTA@baxter.com and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.