Director, Portfolio Strategy and Business Development
Portfolio Strategy and Business Development
Baxter provides a broad portfolio of essential renal and hospital products, including home, acute and in-center dialysis; sterile IV solutions; infusion systems and devices; parenteral nutrition; surgery products and anesthetics; and pharmacy automation, software and services.
The company’s global footprint and the critical nature of its products and services play a key role in expanding access to healthcare in emerging and developed countries.
Baxter’s employees worldwide are building upon the company’s rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of healthcare innovations that enable patient care.
As a member of Baxter’s Pharmaceuticals group, you will accelerate growth by helping develop and execute an aggressive portfolio and business development strategy for Baxter’s Pharmaceuticals Global Business Unit (“GBU”). Portfolio strategy responsibilities include molecule selection; driving key growth initiatives including identification and evaluation of differentiated products, technologies and drug delivery platforms; and prioritization of internal development vs. inorganic growth opportunities. Will lead the Pharmaceutical business development team including identification, prioritization and execution of complex business development opportunities. Seeking talented individual with strong pharmaceutical background and expertise in generic injectables.
- Oversee pharmaceutical portfolio strategy including development and refinement of the GBU strategic plan and overall portfolio strategy including prioritization of projects and analysis of relative merits of internal investment versus pursuing business development opportunities.
- Assess and manage therapeutic areas and underlying molecules for investment and / or development opportunities.
- Evaluate and assess new technologies and differentiated delivery platforms.
- Develop strategic roadmap maintaining a strategically aligned portfolio in the context of changing conditions. Assess progress and evaluate the portfolio balancing investment and benefit.
- Manage the efficient and effective use of limited resources (financial, inventory, technical, etc.), by matching demand and supply, and optimizing allocation of available resources
- Establish a clear governance structure that is understood by all stakeholders. Ensure stakeholders collaborate in pursuit of shared goals.
- Assess portfolio-wide risk and communicate uncertainties. Develop contingency and risk response plans.
- Identify, evaluate, drive and execute global business development opportunities linked to the Pharmaceuticals strategic plan including identification, evaluation, analysis, due diligence, negotiations, definitive documentation, and implementation/execution.
- Assemble and lead teams of business development and subject-matter experts through the deal phase including internal and external cross functional coordination as well as senior leaders of current and potential partners and targets.
- Monitor and evaluate external competitive environment to proactively identify opportunities and help mitigate threats to existing pipeline. Manage internal competitive intelligence resources.
- Create, manage and drive key business metrics, KPIs and other analyses for key stakeholders.
- Strong pharmaceutical background. Combination of technical (e.g. pharmacist) and commercial (e.g. pharmaceutical marketing or portfolio management/business development) experience preferred.
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative assessment skills, critical thinking skills, and ability to develop strategic plans and business cases.
- Strong leadership skills. Ability to facilitate and manage cross-functional teams. Strong negotiating and influencing skills. Strong presentation and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of external healthcare business environment along with an understanding of competitive history and ability to forecast potential next moves.
- Bachelor’s degree in pharmacy, finance, marketing, business or science/technology required. Pharmacy degree, MBA or PhD in science preferred.
- Experience in the Healthcare industry and specifically generic Injectables
- Requires ten or more solid years of business experience and / or pharmacy experience; ideally includes five or more years’ experience evaluating, structuring and negotiating complex transactions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an e-mail to Americas_TTA@baxter.com and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.